Several people have asked for my “Coconut Bombs” recipe. The truth is, I don’t really have one. In fact, I don’t even know what they’re really called. I first tried one that another nutritional therapist gave me, and I’m not sure where she got the recipe. I’m sure there are similar goodies in any number of paleo cookbooks, but you don’t really need a recipe.
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
1. Take a package of unsweetened shredded coconut and dump it into a food processor with the blade in place. This is how you make homemade coconut butter. You can also buy it already made in stores, but it’s quite expensive and not worth the cost, in my opinion.
2. Blend until the coconut is soft and fluid, 4-5 minutes.
3. With the processor running, add some melted coconut oil, enough to make the mixture liquid enough to pour. I think I used about 1/2 cup.
4. Add a flavoring such as vanilla, lemon, peppermint, or whatever flavor you like. Today I used almond extract, about 1 1/2 to 2 tsp. or to taste.
5. Scraping down the sides of the food processor with a spatula, transfer mixture to a pyrex measuring cup to make it easier to pour.
You can use whatever molds you want. I like to use my mini muffin tray, which I line with mine muffin liners (available at most supermarkets).
6. Fill each cup with a filling of your choice (lemon zest, baked apples with cinnamon, dried fruit, nuts, etc.). I used 3 almonds for each.
7. Gently pour the coconut butter mixture into each cup being careful not to over fill them.
8. Put the tray in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to set.
I meant to put an almond on top of each one before they were fully set, but I missed that window. So, I topped them with cinnamon and called it good.
And, are they good!
I strongly suggest you try one to be sure they meet the highest of standards before you have anyone else try one!
YUM!!! Full of crunch, great flavor, and healthy fat, these little gems taste like a real treat! They are great anytime, but especially if you need a little something to hold you over until the next meal.
Their fat content (the good kind, don’t worry!) will give you a burst of energy and are sure to put a smile on your face.